Sunday, June 6, 2010

People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs.

I do not fully understand the complexity and entire reason why racism and prejudice exist. I know the a few reasons, the a few phrases used to either carefully or carelessly summarize the existence. Such as: race is a social construction. Racism exist to elevate or oppress a certain demographic.

Some say it is us noticing the differences between each other, and having a natural prejudice towards our own kind.

I also realize that historically speaking, racism and prejudice kept a lot of things profitable and comfortable for a lot of people. It was a method of power masked by "Good intentions for the sake of the people". And in many ways, this still works today. People fell on one side of the fence, or the other, and the life's opportunities differed greatly depending upon what side you were BORN into. Just pray to God you were a white baby born in America.

To me it seems silly, but despite how silly it all seems to me, it still exist. Despite the mere fact that it is a social construction, this monster still lives and breaths down our necks every day. There is this invisible wall you run into, that no one can see but everyone feels. People walk around pre-stereo-typed based on their skin color every second of the day. You are either fully aware and bitter, fully aware and relinquished, mistakenly ignorant, or completely baffled as to what to think.

Tempting to just end this with a cliche "I will do my best to not do this in my own life" which of course, is fare enough and the truth in it's own right. But I just don't feel like it's enough. And we all know, it probably isn't.

Like I said. I just don't understand it.

No comments: