Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Reminder to Cleave to Christ


Today is Sunday, which means church in the morning, and work for the other half of my day. (I secretly envy those who just have church Sunday mornings, and then relaxation for the rest of it. Someday, I will have a job that does not require availability on Sundays)

But it is always Sundays that I realize all of which I should have done is not... done. And it is this time, right now, between lunch right after church, and the space before putting on my apron and work clothes to go work at the restaurant, where I feel the stress bubbling to a breaking point.

An hour is not enough time to figure life out before the week starts all over again!!!!!

But before I loose all that is good in today, and walk into the busy land of drink refills and extra bbq with "more rolls please" I will remember this:
My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all; no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. I and the Father are one.”

During Sisters at Heart Bible study, we followed up the sermon titled "What's the big deal about Sex before marriage anyway?" (Very good message, listen to it here!), and we talked about how the act of sex is like duct tape- once you stick two sticky sides of duct tape together, and try to rip it apart, you see that they never fully separate, and when they are separated, they still have pieces of one another still connected. Brokenness. (Unless of course, it is within the healthy boundaries of marriage, it is called unity)

There, today's visual.

So Kinita, held up a strip of duct tape, and then a piece of paper with the reference to John 10:27-30, and said. "So here we are, we are this piece of paper. This duct tape, is God. Just as sex is a binding of two people, the love of Christ is to us." she presses (us) the paper into the duct tape (God), and continues to fold the edges around the paper as she says, "And as we are connected and WITH God in this way, He in return wraps his arms around us, so that no one, NO ONE, can snatch you from His hand"

We all did this, and took ours home as a reminder. A reminder to cleave to Christ, despite all the distractions calling us to cleave to other things.
(I am loving this word cleave. I've never used it until now, and its... unique! But I am sure I will miss use or miss pronounce this word as well)

Well, 30 minutes before I have to be fully present and peppy for work. I want to go see if contacts will go in my eyes, or if it's geeky glasses day.

Life feels so fleeting sometimes. :(


No comments: