Tuesday, September 7, 2010

"That was then, This is now"

Two years ago, I hugged, and kissed 40 kids away ad I walked away with my baggage to return home.

That was then,
This is now.

Two years later I stood in the middle of the International Guadalajara airport, holding my baggage. I looked for the familiar face of my friend.
Two years ago I had no familiar faces

That was then,
This is now.

I traveled south to Colima, Mexico in a minivan. I returned to the orphanage which i coulentered at two years prior. This is where I lived and worked with the children and workers, helping wherever with whichever.
Two years ago I did not know any spanish.

That was then,
This is now.

I hugged Leslie for the first time in two years. She is now 12. She used to call me mom.

That was then,
This is now.

I smiled and laughed again with my best friend Yubi. She tried to match me up with her brother two years ago.

That was then,
This is now.

I held Raquel's baby Dara. She was pregnant for her two years ago.

That was then,
This is now.

I reconciled things with Oscar, we planned on dating two years ago.

That was then,
This is now.

I was reminded everyday on how little has changed in Colima, but realized that I was the one who changed.

Because, I was then,
But here, I'm now.

Three weeks rolled by, as I slowly learned,
To always live in what was then,
You risk the chance of loosing sigh of what is now.
To always push for what will be,
You may forget to do the will-do's and will-be's now.

For I see, to take the then's, and the now's
with the good's and the bad's
to be in present in full.

Because, yeah, that was then.
But hey, this is now.

Teaching writing workshop. Oh I love school oh so very much. we were asked to write about something that happened to us this past summer, and then after listening to a story the organized writing in this style ("That's Good, That's Bad" book), we were asked to revise our previous story and see if we can create our own version.

No comments: