Monday, October 24, 2011

ITS A CUP! WITH WATER IN IT! OK!


I was once told,  that everything contains both joy and despair... the only thing that separates the two is this allusive thing called time.

I've been thinking about that lately, and I see the truth in it.
 In many ways.

That new car? That brings so much joy now? Well, in time, something will happen to it, it will need repairs, may break down, and bring on stress that was not originally there.

Like my car.
 I was a blubbering fool 
the morning my car acted like it was about ready to hand over its keys 
and say "I shall work no more"
Or "I will live, only if you pay for my medical bills"
Right. Car. I love you, but please... behave?

Its like the cellphone that worked great, until yesterday, you dropped it in the toilet.

My electronics have a bad habit of trying to swim.

I think this stretches into our relationships as well. People are lying to you if they say marriage is simply a walk in the park on a lovely autumn day. All that joy on the wedding day, is stark contrast to the angry nights filled with flashy-angry eyes and harsh words.

But yet, sacred are the days both set aside the pride and reconcile.

But there is also joy that brims over by the trials of despair. Struggles that seemed to be impossible, through time (and a lot of God action) become a memory that brought on the growth of today.

The exhausted marathon runner, turning the corner and seeing the finish line for the first time. The joy of crossing that marker despite all the exhaustion and pain running through their veins.

Or you could be like me, and throw huge pity parties because the to-do list is too high and the "I wants" are not feasible or allowable...

they are pretty epic

Rather, instead of constantly battling between the mind game of "cup half full or cup half empty?"

Which can make you want to scream and just say 
"ITS A CUP! WITH WATER IN IT! OK!"

I'd rather take the moments of despair and pair it with the reality that there are times of joy. Realizing that this world is crazy, upside down most of the time, and constantly clouded with the driving force of greed, fame, and power.

Thank goodness for God's peace and constant hand, in which permeates everywhere, and does not have to be separated by the concept of time. It withstands all time.

I am reminded that God's mercies are new every-morning.
But honestly, ever feel like you abuse God's mercies? I pray in bed every morning, and sometimes I wonder if God ever gets tired of me praying and confessing the same things over and over and over again. The battle feels exhausting, and I get tired of feeling like I am messing everything up. I understand that this is when we rely on God's strength, and not our own, but I cant even seem to be able to manage that half of the time.

I feel like a converted heathen who's trying to figure out how to act properly now. I'm just tired of rule books. I'm setting aside the self help books for now and just going to go write a paper for an English class. 

No comments: