Wednesday, December 29, 2010

It’s not fair. It’s grace.

I read that today in my little book/devotional thing I do.

I love before and after things.

If it’s not the beginning of a painting, to the last brush stroke, it is also the “before we redecorated the kitchen” to the now.

I always wanted my gift of grace to be like that. “Dani before God’s grace.” To a: “Wow, Dani after receiving God’s grace” and in many, many ways, there are differences. But as you can imagine my disappointment when I realize (time and time again) that I still royally mess up, and once again, I have to receive even more grace. (And don’t even get me started on all the areas I need God’s grace in that I am either ignorant of, or ignore. Pride is a little pain in everyone's behind)

The example was given, was the murderer who died on the cross next to Jesus. How he called out for God’s forgiveness, and it was given as they were dying on the crosses. He was dying, he had no time to do extra “good things” to “deserve” God’s grace. And in so many ways, he did not deserve it. He murdered someone! He STOLE life, crushed life out of someone on earth. He killed someone’s child, maybe someone’s parent…and to receive God’s grace? That seems unfair… but God gave it.

And then we are called to forgive, as God has forgiven us.....

Now totally switching to another note:

(Hey, at least Im warning you)

Today has been a lovely day off.

Work has been really busy and just been kicking me in the pants, but worth it in many ways.

Today I walked into the downtown ministry outreach for the homeless a few minutes late, to a relieved Ryan and Anna “YOU MADE IT! OH GOOD!”

I suppose today was a day that volunteers chosen to not show up. This whole experience with Degagae ministries has shown me the power of volunteers, as well as the necessity for them to stick to their commitments TO volunteer.

It is so tempting to lax off on days your too tired, or “forget”, and not feel too bad about it because you’re not “getting paid” for it. But it really affects so many things, especially for an organization that RELIES on 30 volunteers a day to function. (I will be honest, over Thanksgiving Break I forgot, and offered to work on the day I normally volunteer. So, I have fallen pray to this as well)

I am a little nervous, because I am switching from afternoons to mornings next week (As in, 8:30 AM.) and ever since college, I do not do mornings too well. (As in, my 10:00 AM class felt way too early) But, time to learn. Bedtime will be… midnight now. Yeah. That sound’s good.

Plus a had a lovely coffee chat with an old friend.

and currently seeking clarity in a lot of things.

Clarity is on its way, if not already present, so this is good.

And, the good news is:

Grace Is not fair.

Because if it was?

None of us would earn it.


Haha, how's that for a random update?

No comments: