Saturday, December 19, 2009

If you fell down yesterday, stand up today. - H.G Wells

You know those days. We all know those days. Those days that whenever you get a chance you instinctively pick a fight. And no matter how much you KNOW you should NOT say this next thing then suddenly... oops... just say it. And when the damage is done, the best option you have left is to just step away from the conversation and hope saying sorry is enough.

Now, in my defense I was not like this the entire day. Granted, beginning to pack up my things and trying not to slip on ice at the same time was not a bucket of fun. But the last piece of cake my mom gave me, and the shopping spree I conquered with Kara was lovely.

Of course starting a conversation with my little sister on how strange it is that the boys her age find it so funny to go all the way with gay jokes (not mentioning, but not excluding the boyfriend), was not the greatest idea on the planet. Who knew I'd end up making her feel like she needed to defend her boyfriend's sexuality?

Really Dani?

But I will have to pause and say, that I am very grateful for my Grandma and all she did to take us to the Nutcracker tonight. There was something magical about watching the Nutcracker, watching people do things that I only can do in my dreams.

But in reality, even though I tore Alan's chance of having a happy end to his day into shreds, I did have a great short (random) conversation with my (other) little sister that made me smile.
Sometimes... even though we don't always make the smart choice right away, I find it beautiful when a person comes to that decision on their own terms. No one else's, but their own. When someone can own a decision and claim it as their own... thats when I can't help but be proud. It's like the first time a parent realizes that the training wheels can be taken off of the bike, that the balance is no longer relying on the protective wheels no longer.

OF course that is, unless your like my little brother who decides to go from training wheels to no wheels in a matter of 10 minutes. I was ready to be his full time coach for at least 30 minutes, but before I knew it he was riding that two wheeler all by himself for hours. it was sick.

Can't help but wonder how beautiful it must look to God, when he see's us choose Him. Not because our parents pounded it into us since we were born, not because the pastor scared us from going to hell, or that our friends believe in Him; but because we realized on our own accord that no matter what we do we are in desperate need of Him.

So yes, it was one of those days.
But just like any other day
the day feels different depending on what you focus on.


No comments: