Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Spending Way too much Time Playing with my Obnoxious Gum

I do not know how I feel about today. It was kind of a weird one.

Apparently I had this dream last night, that I checked my watch and it said "11:00 AM"... so within a matter of seconds I was wide awake sitting straight up with this thought "I am late! I missed my Science test!"
I mean... I'm talking panic and dread all wrenched into one moment, but as I looked over to my alarm clock it said "4:35 AM"
Just as quickly as it happened, I fell back into my pillows in relief and went back to sleep in seconds.

This reminded me of last summer, when I traveled with some of my family to Oklahoma for a family visit. I guess I was having some crazy dreams, and I recall waking up, completely convinced my single bed mattress was floating on water in darkness. I remember laying there, eyes wide open, panicking, not moving an inch as I tried to come up with some survival plan. I finally said in a small terrified voice "Water... is there water everywhere?!"

And man, what would I have done without my older sister Karen? I suppose my panic woke her up, and calmly I heard from the air mattress on the floor a voice of reason, "No Dani, there is no water. Go back to sleep"... and once again, seconds later, I was out.

This really makes me wonder what I do in my sleep, when the crazy things I am doing does not wake me up?

Well, today was my final English Capstone class. Man, that class sure stretched my intelligence. (I can honestly say however, that I understand postmodernism)

It was sometime towards the end of this final class session, that I decided that I was I done chewing my gum. So after the professor announced his good luck wishes for our take home exam, I packed up my backpack and tugged on the jacket, and debated between "spit out the gum? Or pick it out?"
As I was walking to the door where the trash can sat, I suppose I decided within those two seconds to "pick it out". However, this turned into an episode of Dani trying to get super-sticky-chewed gum off her hand... while everyone behind her stops and watch. (mostly because I was blocking the doorway with my big backpack, struggling.) 

I mean, this was not a "second of struggle"... but rather a series of initially calm attempts, and then down right panic jabbing motions with my hand as I tried to get it to at least stick to the trash bag. It got to the point where people started laughing, and I gave up on being discreet and announced "Well... this is awkward...", finally getting my nasty gum to stick to the trash can liner, looking down and quickly walking away.

However, I am rather glad I did not choose to spit it out. This is mainly because, at the rate my day was going, I would probably have missed the trash can, or got it stuck to my lip, or stuck to the floor, and ended up spending way too much time playing with my obnoxious gum.

And that concludes my awkward moment of the day...

One highlight of my day was buying a big package of fine point sharpie markers of all sorts of colors, and as I worked at the restaurant I thoroughly enjoyed writing with my pink BRAND NEW sharpie. 

In fact, I was so excited about it, that I actually made random lists of "to-do's"... just so I can use it.

- one of my completely random drawings on the back of my notebook.... not sure why I felt the need to insert the intense caption of "Imagine", but hey, super man is looking pretty spiffy there.



No comments: